EXAMPLES OF JOB TITLES:
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic
- Agricultural Equipment Mechanic
- Construction Site Mechanic
- Heavy-duty mobile logging equipment mechanic
- Locomotive engineer – repair
- Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanic
- Mobile heavy equipment mechanic
- Diesel Engine Mechanic – Heavy Equipment
- Tractor Mechanic
- Heavy equipment technician
Heavy-duty equipment mechanics perform some or all of the following duties:
- Check the operation of bulldozers, cranes, graders and other heavy equipment used in construction, agriculture and logging and mining and inspect various machines for defects and failures;
- Determine the nature of defects and malfunctions, using computerized and other control equipment, to determine the extent of repairs to be made;
- Adjust equipment and repair or replace defective parts, fixtures or components using manual or mechanical tools
- Test the repaired equipment to ensure it is working properly and that repairs are in accordance with the manufacturer’s requirements;
- Clean and lubricate equipment and perform other routine maintenance;
- Ensure the maintenance of accessories and working tools such as harvesting machines and for digging furrows, blades, plows, winches and lateral arrows;
- Repair heavy trucks, if necessary
- If necessary, fix the components and adjust the new agricultural machinery.
- Heavy equipment and farm equipment mechanics may specialize in specific types of machinery, such as multicultural and tracked vehicles, or in the adjustment of engines, shift transmissions under load, engines Injection, hydraulics or electronics.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A high school diploma is usually required.
- An apprenticeship program of three to five years or more of four years’ experience in the trade, as well as specialized training in the repair of heavy equipment, school or industrial, is usually required to qualify for the certificate Of qualifications.
- The Heavy Equipment Mechanic qualification certificate is mandatory in Quebec and Alberta and is offered, although voluntary, in other provinces and territories.
- The Agricultural Machinery Mechanic qualification certificate is offered, although voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario , Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.
- Heavy-duty mechanics and qualified agricultural mechanics may obtain the Red Seal.
- Experience provides access to supervisory positions.
- The Red Seal allows interprovincial mobility.