EXAMPLES OF JOB TITLES:
- Boiler fitter
- Apprentice Boilermaker
- Industrial boilermaker
- Boilermaker of navy
- Boilermaker of construction
- Boiler installer
- Pressure tank assembler
Boilermakers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Draw drawings or specifications to plan operations;
- Tracing on heavy metal sheet, sheet steel or any other heavy metal part, bending and cutting lines using protractors, compasses, jigs and other instruments;
- Regulating and using metalworking machines, including bending machines, rolling mills, shears, cutting torches and column drills, for cutting, shaping and forming workpieces;
- Adjust and weld metal parts to form boilers, tanks, tanks, heat exchangers, pipes and other heavy metal products;
- Construct and install boilers and other heavy metal products, in accordance with the specifications, using manual and mechanical tools;
- Repare and maintain boilers and other heavy metal products;
- Direct crane operators or drivers of hoists and other workers during the shaping, assembly, installation or repair of metallic structures;
- Controlling completed structures using a variety of control methods.
Boilermakers can specialize in assembly, lifting, installation, assembly or various welding aspects of the loom.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A high school diploma is usually required.
- A three- to four-year apprenticeship program
- or more than four years of experience in the trade, as well as specialized training in boilermaking, in a school or industrial environment, are usually required to qualify for the certificate of qualification.
- The certificate of qualification is mandatory in Quebec and Alberta and is offered, although voluntary, in all other provinces.
- Skilled boilermakers can get the Red Seal.
- The experience provides access to supervisory positions.
- The Red Seal allows for interprovincial mobility.