EXAMPLES OF JOB TITLES:
- Tour operator / tour guide
- School bus driver
- Bus driver
- Coach operator
- Tramway operator
- Surface vehicle operator
- Light rail vehicle operator
- Subway Operator
- Transit vehicle operator
Bus drivers and subway and other transit operators perform some or all of the following duties:
Bus and Tram Drivers:
- Driving buses or tramways to transport passengers to local destinations according to an established itinerary;
- Driving coaches to transport passengers and goods on long distance or long distance routes;
- Conduct tour buses to transport passengers to local or remote destinations and, if necessary, provide information on points of interest during the trip;
- Conduct wheelchair accessible buses and assist passengers to ride;
- Information to passengers concerning schedules, prices and stops;
- Collect the price of the passage, provide connections, check the passes and record the receipts;
- Recall accidents, delays or mechanical problems;
- Unload and unload passengers’ luggage if necessary.
School Bus Drivers:
- Driving school buses to transport children to school, at home or on excursions;
- Ensure the safety of children when boarding and off the bus and when crossing the street when the bus is stopped.
Subway and light rail operators:
- Drive the subway or a rail vehicle as a member of a team of two;
- Observe signals at crossings and at points of arrival and departure;
- Actuating the controls to open and close the doors of the transport vehicle;
- Reporting delays, defects and accidents at the communication center;
- Directing passengers during emergency evacuation procedures.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A high school diploma may be required.
- On-the-job training of up to three months, including theoretical instruction, is usually offered for all positions in this unit group.
- A minimum of one year of safe driving is required.
- A class B, C, E or F driver’s license in Ontario and Class 2 driver’s license elsewhere is required for bus drivers.
- The word “air brake” and a first aid certificate may be required.
- Experience as a transit bus driver is usually required of metro operators and light rail systems.
- Experience provides access to supervisory or inspection positions in transit.