Carpenters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Study plans, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate material requirements;
- Preparing the traces, using measuring tools, taking into account the requirements of the building codes;
- Measure, cut, shape and assemble wood, chipboard, light steel or other materials;
- Installing foundations, installing floor beams, installing the flooring support, assembling pre-assembled roof and structural elements;
- Adjust and install joinery items such as doors, stairs, moldings and hardware;
- Maintaining, repairing and renovating homes and wood constructions in factories, mines, hospitals, industrial facilities and other establishments;
- Supervise the work of apprentices and other construction workers;
- Prepare, if necessary, estimates for customers.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A high school diploma is usually required.
- A three- to four-year apprenticeship program or more than four years of experience in the trade, as well as specialized training at the school or industrial level, are usually required to qualify for the certificate of qualification.
- The certificate of qualification is compulsory in Quebec, but optional in the other provinces and territories.
- Qualified carpenters can obtain the Red Seal.
- The experience provides access to supervisory positions.
- The Red Seal allows for interprovincial mobility.