EXAMPLES OF JOB TITLES:
- Apprentice plumber apprentice
- Plumbing mechanic
- Plumber, industrial
Plumbers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Draw plans, drawings and specifications to determine the layout of the piping, water supply system and sewer and drainage systems;
- Installing, repairing and maintaining fittings and piping systems in residential and commercial and industrial buildings;
- Determining and marking the location of pipe fittings, holes for the passage of pipes through walls and floors, and accessories;
- Provide, in the walls and floors, openings of diameter suitable for pipes and fittings;
- Measure, cut, bend and tap pipes using manual or mechanical machines or tools;
- Join pipes with fittings, hose clamps, screws, bolts or gluing, brazing or welding equipment;
- Check the hoses with gauges for leaks;
- To prepare, if necessary, estimates.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A high school diploma is usually required.
- A four- to five-year apprenticeship program
- or more than five years of experience in the trade, as well as specialized training in plumbing, school or industrial, are usually required to qualify for the certificate of qualification.
- The certificate of qualification is compulsory in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia and is offered, although In Newfoundland and Labrador, Manitoba, Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon.
- Skilled Plumbers Can Get Red Seal
- The experience provides access to supervisory positions.
- The Red Seal allows for interprovincial mobility.