EXAMPLES OF JOB TITLES:
- Apprentice electrician electrician
- Electrical engineer
- Power plant electrician
- Electrical systems technician
Electrical system electricians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Install and maintain electrical transmission equipment, such as transformers, generators, voltage regulators, switches, circuit breakers, capacitors, induction coils and control and acquisition systems data (SCADA);
- Installing and maintaining electrical equipment and appliances in power plants or power stations;
- Controlling and checking electrical equipment and equipment to ensure proper operation and localization of electrical faults using various instruments such as voltmeters, ammeter and other test equipment;
- Repare or replace defective electrical equipment and appliances;
- Complete test and maintenance reports.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A high school diploma is usually required.
- A four-year apprenticeship, as a network electrician
- or more than four years of experience and training in electrical engineering in a school or industrial environment are usually required.
- The certificate of qualification is offered, although voluntary, in Manitoba, Alberta, Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon.
- The experience provides access to supervisory positions.